Sunday, 18 July 2021 05:53

42 killed, 338 houses burnt in renewed Zango Kataf attacks – Community leaders

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Atyap Community Development Association (ACDA) on Saturday said 42 persons were killed, 7 wounded and 338 houses set ablaze in the latest attacks on several communities in Zangon Kataf local government area of Kaduna State.

The association which rolled out the statistics when its leadership addressed journalists at the secretariat of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Kaduna Council, added that 8 cars, 13 motorcycles, generators, food and domestic items were either looted or razed within what they described as “onslaught” against Atyap Chiefdom.

President of the association, Samuel T. Achie, who read the press statement, therefore, called on the government of Kaduna state to without fear or favour come alive to its responsibility to put an end to the “dastard” and “condemnable killings” of its citizens, by way of fishing out and bringing the perpetrators to justice.

According to him, until the latest attacks, the Fulani and Atyap communities had earlier signed a peace pact which has been so far respected by all and sundry, hence, finding it difficult to understand the provocations that have sent scores to their early grave and property worth millions destroyed.

Samuel said, “in all the attacks in the 12 different villages as of July 15, 2021, a total of 42 people were killed and 338 houses burnt with 7 people wounded. Several other valuables were not left out as 8 Cars, 13 motorcycles, generators, food and domestic items were either looted or consumed by fire

“Our revered places of worship were not spared as 7 churches and their pastorium razed down by fire in various locations.

“Among the houses razed down by these Fulani Militia are the family compound of our paramount Ruler, Dominic Yahaya in Magamiya and also the Family Compound of Retired Major General Shekari Biliyock in Abuyab.

“The entire Atyap Nation seems to be at loss to these senseless killings by Fulani Militia, as we have bend over to implement the decisions of the peace accord reached with the parties involved.

“The question is what else were we supposed to do that was not done? It seems apparent that these attacks are being sponsored with larger motives than meet the eyes” he queried.

He continued, “with all these being said, in concrete terms we can submit that the resolution of our desire for peace is under threat by this Fulani Militia. We felt that we will be better off if we stay in peace as brothers as was the case in time past.

“It is a well-known fact world over that all crises are not won at the battlefield, but at the round table through discussions that could lead to amicable resolution of the crisis with the parties determined to bring an end to it.

“The Commander in Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria once said that anybody found in possession of deadly arm be shot at sight. But as I am talking to you, Fulani Militias still graze in Atyap land with AK47 hung on their shoulders and shot at any sight of a Kataf man.

“There is no any place in all the areas attacked that has a distance of more than 10 to 15 minutes drive from one security checkpoint to the other. It is not only lives and houses that were destroyed, but crops and places of worship inclusive.

“Our people are known to be purely peasant farmers, but at this season of farming have to abandon their farms for fear of being killed. All schools in the area are closed down hence our children can no longer go to school, therefore, creating a humanitarian crisis for all the displaced people in the land, which in turn create an urgent need for Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Camp to cater for those that have been left at the mercy of the weather both in rain and sunshine without any roof on their heads since the renewed persistent attacks.

“These whole things look like the Fulani Militia wants to grab and occupy our land. The Atyap people are law-abiding citizens that have been loyal to all successive governments to date and wonder why we should be left alone to carry our cross now.

“Based on these, we ask that government provide more troops, humanitarian relief materials and a peaceful atmosphere for all, else we will be left with no other option than to protect ourselves using all legal means”, he added.

 

Sun

April 04, 2025

Oil set for worst week in months over Trump's new tariffs

Oil prices fell further in early Asian trade on Friday, and were on track for…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
April 04, 2025

Flight attendants say you should never order these 5 items on a plane

Amanda Mactas Surely you are no stranger to a fashion faux pas, but when it…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 04, 2025

What to know after Day 1135 of Russia-Ukraine war

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE Significant progress made on Ukraine ceasefire – Putin aide The US-brokered energy truce…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.