Tuesday, 14 November 2023 04:48

Workers under NLC, TUC begin nationwide strike today

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have directed all workers in Nigeria to withdraw their services effective midnight, November 13, 2023.

The decision, an outcome of the Joint National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of NLC and TUC, was conveyed in a joint statement on Monday urging workers to withdraw their services starting at 12:00 midnight on November 13.

“In furtherance to the decision of the Joint National Executive Council (NEC) of NLC and TUC, all workers in Nigeria are hereby directed to withdraw their services effective 12:00 midnight today, 13th November 2023,” the unions said in a joint statement.

The union added that all affiliates and state councils of NLC/TUC are directed to issue circulars for maximum compliance and these circulars should be made available to the national secretariats or posted to the NEC and CWC Whatsapp Platforms.

“While we shall update you with developments as they unfold, do remain assured of our commitment to Nigerian workers and people.”

Meanwhile, the directive comes despite a restraining order issued by the National Industrial Court of Nigeria last Friday, prohibiting the labour unions from commencing their scheduled strike on Tuesday, November 14.

The court, presided over by Benedict Kanyip, president of the court, directed the labour unions to halt their industrial action.

Earlier announcements by the NLC had called for a state-wide strike in Imo State starting November 1, protesting against what they described as “persistent and egregious violations of the rights and privileges of workers” by the state government.

Speaking on the matter, Joe Ajaero, NLC national president, stated, “Despite our repeated efforts to engage in constructive dialogue and reach amicable agreements, the Imo State Government has become a habitual and serial breaker of these agreements, continuing to trample on the rights of workers in the state.”

“As a result, we are left with no choice but to embark on mass protests and industrial actions beginning on the 1st day of November 2023,” Ajaero said.

Earlier this month, some thugs and police officers allegedly attacked Ajaero and other NLC members who had gathered at the union’s council secretariat ahead of a planned protest in the state.

 

The Guardian

April 04, 2025

Oil set for worst week in months over Trump's new tariffs

Oil prices fell further in early Asian trade on Friday, and were on track for…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
April 04, 2025

Flight attendants say you should never order these 5 items on a plane

Amanda Mactas Surely you are no stranger to a fashion faux pas, but when it…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 04, 2025

What to know after Day 1135 of Russia-Ukraine war

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE Significant progress made on Ukraine ceasefire – Putin aide The US-brokered energy truce…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.