Saturday, 21 October 2023 04:44

Gunmen attack 4 banks simultaneously, kill 3 policemen, 5 others in Benue

Rate this item
(0 votes)

At least eight people were killed when armed robbers invaded four banks in Otukpo town of Benue State, on Friday.

Our correspondent gathered that three police officers, one vigilante and a councilor of Otukpo Ward 2 who was transacting business in one of the affected banks were among those killed.

A witness who declined to mention his name, said the armed gang first attacked the Police Station opposite the banks and allegedly disarmed all the operatives on duty before moving into the banks.

The witness also said that the four affected banks are Stanbic bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Zenith Bank and First Bank.

Residents claimed that the robbers drove in two Hilux vehicles and one smaller car to carry out the robbery which lasted over one hour.

The residents explained that the armed robbers stormed the banks at exactly 3:30pm on Friday and carried on the attack unchallenged till about 4:50pm.

A resident who preferred anonymity had earlier told our correspondent, “They are robbing First bank and Zenith banks simultaneously. They stormed the banks at 3:30pm.

“Two vigilante have lost their lives as we speak. Gunshots renting every where and if you listen carefully, you will hear the sound. The place is opposite police station. This is the first time we are experiencing this.”

Another resident, Okopi Elijah, said the incident left him trapped in his office several hours after closing from work.

Elijah said the armed robbers went on rampage, destroyed and carted away valuables in the banks unhindered.

He said, “No one can move either direction of Otukpo main road now because you don’t know which way the robbers will use to exit since they are shooting indiscriminately.

“I have closed from work since 4:00pm and it’s already 5:10pm, however I can’t step out of office yet. Many of us are taking refuge here.”

Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) SP Catherine Anene, confirmed the incident but that she was yet to get details at the time of sending this report.

“I have not been able to speak with the DPO or any of the officers there but I know there is an incident. I don’t want to be disturbing them so let’s give it some time,” Anene said.

 

Daily Trust

April 03, 2025

Oil prices sink after Trump announced sweeping new tariffs

Oil prices dropped $2 on Thursday after U.S. President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
March 30, 2025

Does wearing a cap make you go bald? Here’s what dermatologists want you to know about hair loss

Hair loss can be an upsetting and worrisome experience. But with a slew of wellness…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 03, 2025

What to know after Day 1134 of Russia-Ukraine war

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE Putin conscripts 160K men as Russia eyes Ukraine offensive Russia has initiated its…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.