Monday, 26 July 2021 05:38

Bandits detain man who took N30m ransom to them for abducted Niger state pupils

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Bandits, who abducted 138 pupils of Salihu Tanko Islamiyya School, Tegina, in May in Rafi Local Government Area of Niger state, have seized a man sent to deliver N30 million as another installment of the ransom they demanded from the parents.

The parents had earlier sent an initial instalment of N25 million ransom, the head of the abducted students’ school, Abubakar Alhassan, told BBC Hausa Service Sunday morning.

The abducted man, Kasimu Barangana, was one of seven persons sent by the community to deliver the N30 million ransom to the bandits in the forest.

Instead, the bandits seized Barangana himself alleging a shortfall of N4.6 million when they counted the money.

Alhassan said some parents sold off their landed properties and his school sold off a portion of its land to raise the N30 million. They then sent Barangana and six other men to deliver the money in the forest.

According to Alhassan, after the ransom was delivered, the bandits took Barangana to another location to count the money. Later, however, they called to inform the community of the shortfall of N4.6 million and that they were holding on to Barangana until the shortfall is delivered.

Another teacher in the school, Yakubu Idris, and one of the parents confirmed that the latest N30 million ransom followed an earlier N25 million, after which delivery the criminals had continued to hold on to the pupils.

“We believe that the latest N30 million ransom is complete but the bandits have continued to devise a means to be receiving more money from the parents,” the parent said, refusing to disclose their identity because the state government has allegedly forbidden them from granting media interviews.

Earlier, Secretary to the State Government, Ibrahim Matane, explained why the government is yet to apply force in rescuing the pupils.

Matane said the government was “taking time to evaluate ongoing negotiations with the bandits in order to prevent collateral damage.

“We know the location where they (pupils) are; we are very careful of any untoward situation; we do not want to hurt the children while resorting to military operations,” he was quoted to have said by Leadership newspaper.

He further told the paper that the state government was looking at other options devoid of payment of ransom before considering “kinetic action.”

The bandits had on May 30 stormed the Islamiyya school, which also has nursery and primary schools, and abducted the pupils.

Two parents reportedly died of shock after hearing that their wards were among the children kidnapped.

 

PT

April 04, 2025

Oil set for worst week in months over Trump's new tariffs

Oil prices fell further in early Asian trade on Friday, and were on track for…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
April 04, 2025

Flight attendants say you should never order these 5 items on a plane

Amanda Mactas Surely you are no stranger to a fashion faux pas, but when it…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 04, 2025

What to know after Day 1135 of Russia-Ukraine war

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE Significant progress made on Ukraine ceasefire – Putin aide The US-brokered energy truce…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.