Tuesday, 25 March 2025 04:39

What to know after Day 1125 of Russia-Ukraine war

Rate this item
(0 votes)

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE

Ukrainian artillery attack kills three Russian journalists, regional head says

A Ukrainian artillery strike on Monday killed six people including three journalists in eastern Ukraine's Luhansk region, the region's Russia-installed governor said.

The media outlets concerned confirmed that their journalists had been killed in the attack. Another Russian official said the journalists had been targeted by the Ukrainian military.

There was no comment from Ukrainian officials.

The attack killed a journalist from Russia's Izvestia media outlet, Alexander Fedorchak, as well as camera operator Andrei Panov and driver Alexander Sirkeli working for Russian state television channel Zvezda, according to Leonid Pasechnik, the Russian-appointed governor of Luhansk region.

Zvezda said its correspondent, Nikita Goldin, had been seriously wounded in the attack, which it described as a strike on a civilian vehicle.

Alexander Miroshnik, an ambassador-at-large for the Russian Foreign Ministry, said there was evidence the journalists had been targeted.

"More and more details are emerging of the killing of these guys that point to the premeditated and terrorist nature of the strike on journalists and people alongside them," he wrote on Telegram.

Russian news agencies quoted security sources as saying the strike had been carried out by a HIMARS missile supplied to Ukraine by the United States.

Izvestia said Fedorchak had gone into Luhansk region after reporting from the Kupiansk area in neighbouring Kharkiv region, one of the areas where Russian forces have made advances in recent months.

A freelance reporter working for Izvestia was killed in Ukraine in January.

Data provided earlier in the war by the Committee to Protect Journalists counted at least 15 journalists killed since Russia's February 2022 full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

Nearly all of the Luhansk region has been captured by Russian forces in the more than three-year-old war pitting Moscow against Kyiv.

Russian forces have concentrated on capturing the eastern Donbas - made up of Luhansk and Donetsk regions - after their initial drive failed to reach the capital Kyiv in the early stages of the invasion.

Luhansk and Donetsk have been annexed and incorporated into Russia, along with two other regions partly held by Russia - Zaporizhzhia and Kherson.

 

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE

Kiev attacks internationally-operated oil pipeline in Russia – Moscow

An armed Ukrainian drone was shot down overnight near an oil pumping station in Russia operated by an international company, the Russian Defense Ministry has said.

The interception reportedly occurred early Monday around 7km from the Kropotkinskaya facility, which is part of the energy link managed by the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC). The ministry stated that the station was the intended target of the drone, citing a prior attack against it in mid-February.

The CPC includes major US oil companies such as Chevron and ExxonMobil among its stakeholders and primarily facilitates the export of Kazakh oil through Russian territory.

Moscow characterized the incident as yet another violation of a US-mediated partial ceasefire, under which both Moscow and Kiev committed to refraining from strikes on energy infrastructure.

The agreement aims to pave the way for a broader truce, with indirect negotiations taking place this week in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The discussions will also focus on maritime security in the Black Sea. The US is serving as a shuttle, with no direct discussions between Russia and Ukraine planned.

”The Kiev regime continues to plan, prepare, and execute attacks against energy infrastructure, including internationally-owned assets within Russia,” the ministry said.

Last week, the Russian military accused Kiev of conducting a kamikaze drone strike against an oil transfer station in Krasnodar Region, which services the CPC-operated pipeline. The incident occurred hours after Russian President Vladimir Putin and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, approved the partial ceasefire. By the time the assault unfolded, Ukraine’s Vladimir Zelensky publicly endorsed the agreement.

Days later, Moscow reported that Ukrainian forces had demolished a border gas metering station in Kursk Region, with Kiev attributing the explosion to Russian actions. According to the Russian military, Ukrainian troops blew up the facility during their retreat after a months-long incursion.

Despite what the Defense Ministry labeled a “provocation,” it stated that it intends to maintain the partial ceasefire. The Foreign Ministry later warned, however, that Russia could withdraw from the deal if Kiev continues its violations.

 

Reuters/RT

April 03, 2025

Oil prices sink after Trump announced sweeping new tariffs

Oil prices dropped $2 on Thursday after U.S. President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
March 30, 2025

Does wearing a cap make you go bald? Here’s what dermatologists want you to know about hair loss

Hair loss can be an upsetting and worrisome experience. But with a slew of wellness…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 03, 2025

What to know after Day 1134 of Russia-Ukraine war

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE Putin conscripts 160K men as Russia eyes Ukraine offensive Russia has initiated its…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.