Wednesday, 18 May 2022 06:27

Nine confirmed dead from Kano gas explosion

Rate this item
(0 votes)

A total of nine bodies have been recovered from the scene of a gas explosion that occurred in Kano state.

On Tuesday, a gas explosion occurred near a primary school in Sabon Gari area of Kano metropolis, sending residents into panic.

Speaking with journalists, Shuaibu Dikko, Kano commissioner of police, said efforts had commenced to rescue anyone who may be trapped under the rubble.

Dikko said a gas cylinder from a welding shop nearby caused the explosion which brought down a building in the school, adding that it was not a bomb blast as speculated.

Muhammad Garba, Kano commissioner for information, had also earlier said an investigation has commenced into the explosion.

“While the cause of the explosion is yet to be officially ascertained, investigation has since commenced to determine the cause, impact and measures to be taken,” the information commissioner said.

As rescue workers rounded off operations at the scene of the incident on Tuesday evening, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed that nine persons died in the incident.

Mustapha Ahmed, director-general of NEMA, was at the site of the explosion and coordinated the rescue operations.

Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of Kano, during a visit to the area with Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, said the state would take measures to regulate wielding activities in densely-populated areas to avoid future occurrence.

Joseph Abiodun, a resident of the area who participated in the rescue operations, also said nine bodies were recovered.

“The explosion occurred around 10am, and because there was no excavator immediately after the incident, we used hands and some light equipment to bring out the bodies,” he said.

He added that some chemicals, which were found in shops that were damaged by the explosion, were handed over to security personnel.

Mike Ajibola, a pastor whose church was a few meters away from the scene of the explosion, said over 50 children from the nearby Winners School adjacent to the point of explosion were rescued, but a few of them sustained minor injuries.

NEMA, however, said 10 people were rescued, while two people who were taken to the hospital had been discharged.

Ahmed instructed the NEMA rescue team to remain at the site of the explosion until the conclusion of the operations.

He also urged rescue workers to cooperate with security agencies.

 

The Cable


Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.