Six soldiers, including two officers, who fought to repel a Boko Haram attack on Wednesday were killed by the insurgents.
One of the victims was a colonel and another a captain.
Several Boko Haram fighters were also killed by Nigerian soldiers.
The attack occurred at about 6:00 p.m. along Maiduguri-Damaturu Highway during a patrol by the colonel and other soldiers of the 29 Task Force Brigade.
Nigerian Army has not announced the development. Its spokesperson, Mr Sagir Musa, did not immediately return calls seeking comments from our correspondent.
PREMIUM TIMES says it is withholding identities of the slain officers as it wasn’t sure their families had been briefed by the army.
A military source said the six soldiers were killed near their base in Jakana.
A soldier who went missing has since returned to base, sources said. A reinforcement was sent from the 29 Task Force Brigade Headquarters in Benisheik to the outpost in Jakana.
Remains of the colonel and five others have been sent to Nigerian Army medical facility in Maiduguri.
Boko Haram continues its deadly campaign despite the Nigerian government’s efforts and claims that the war was nearing its last days.
Hundreds of soldiers have been killed since Boko Haram began focusing on military bases in July 2018, casualties that included at least six senior officers and commanders.
The military has succeeded in limiting the insurgents to three states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe. They hitherto operated across Northern Nigeria, including Abuja. However, Boko Haram is still able to attack military and civilians in the three states where it currently operates.
Boko Haram insurgency has claimed tens of thousands of lives since 2009.