Defence Headquarters (DHQ) yesterday declared Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IBOP) as a militant terrorist organization.
Defence spokesman, Major General John Enenche, earlier said in a statement that the group which had posed a security challenge in the country, had been metamorphosing from one stage to the other.
He said after due professional analysis and recent developments, it had become expedient to notify the general public that the claim by IPOB actors that the organization was non-violent was not true.
“Hence, the need to bring to public awareness the true and current state of IPOB. In this regard, with some of their actions, clandestinely and actively, they have been terrorising the general public,” he added.
Enenche listed activities of IPOB to include the formation of a Biafra Secret Service, claimed formation of Biafra National Guard, unauthorised blocking of public access roads, extortion of money from innocent civilians at illegal road blocks, militant possession and use of weapons (stones, molotov cocktails, machetes and broken bottles among others) on a military patrol on September 10, 2017, physical confrontation of troops by Nnamdi Kanu and other IPOB actors at a check point on September 11, 2017 and also attempting to snatch their rifles, attack by IPOB members at a military check point on September 12, 2017 at Isialangwa, where one IPOB actor attempted to snatch a female soldier’s rifle.
“From the foregoing, the Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to confirm to the general public that IPOB from all intent, plan and purpose as analysed, is a militant terrorist organisation.
Therefore, parents and particularly unsuspecting residents of the Southeast and other Nigerians should advice their wards to desist from joining the group,” he said.
He reiterated the commitment of the Defence Headquarters to handle all the security challenges in the country and reassured all Nigerians of the protection of their lives and property.